Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May 2012 - Travis Briner


     One of the best things about writing this column is I get to catch up with some old friends and former students. It is even better when those former students also happen to be good family friends. Such is the case with Travis Briner.
     Travis and my son Grant were in the same class growing up, played against each other in little league before becoming Loco teammates in football and basketball, and Travis was always welcome in our home. I had Travis in class as a seventh grader, was his junior high and senior high Sunday School teacher at First Methodist, sang with him in church choir, and we even took him along on some family vacations.
      So catching up with Travis for this month’s column was a whole lot more pleasure than business.
     It hardly seems like ten years have passed since graduation, but alas it has. And that freckle-faced redhead has become a college graduate, found success in his career, and enjoys life as a husband and father.
     “I started my college career at Defiance College where I studied Sport management while playing football for the Yellow Jackets,” explained Travis from his home outside St. Louis. “After two years at Defiance College, I chose to transfer to Wright State University where I graduated in 2007 with a degree in Organizational Leadership.”
     But like almost everyone featured in this column, the road did not lead back to Montpelier after graduation for Travis. Instead he headed to southwest Illinois and a position in the district office of the Boy Scouts. Why the Boy Scouts and why Illinois?
     “The classic, not what you know, but who you know story,” said Travis.  “I was not a Boy Scout in Montpelier, or ever for that matter.  However, my wife’s uncle, Tim Garber, was the CEO of a local Boy Scout Council in the Metro-East St. Louis.  Knowing him over the years, he asked if I would be interested in working for him out of college, and it’s hard to turn down a job immediately out of school.”
     Travis’s official title is district director of the Lewis and Clark Council, Boy Scouts of America.
     “When I typically tell people that I work for the Boy Scouts, they immediately think of our program (character, leadership, citizenship, knots, camping, etc.), which is a good thing, but my role in the organization is very different.  I am the last person that you would want teaching young men those skills.  As a professional in our organization it is my responsibility to ensure that those who do have the skills to lead young men to be better citizens, and leaders of high character, have the resources they need to be successful.  We organize and lead volunteer committees that ensure quality of programs, growth in our membership, and that ensure that the funding needed to support the programs is available.  Essentially, it is my job to bring resources to the table in the form of money, manpower and membership while supporting the volunteer leaders who put the program to work.”
     “In my five years, I have helped recruit thousands of new Scouts to the program, raised well over $500,000 in direct support, and have recruited many doctors, lawyers, business owners,  presidents and vice-presidents to our organization.  My short-term career goal would be to get into a development position in a different Council somewhere in the Midwest, which would require my wife and me to move out of the St. Louis area. My long-term goal is to become the Chief Scout Executive of the Boy Scouts of America (the CEO of the entire organization)—shoot for the stars, right?”
     Travis said his Montpelier upbringing has been as asset for him in his career.
     “I credit growing up in Montpelier for a lot of my journey. I talk about it all of the time.  This past week I received what I believe to be the best compliment of my career, and for those who know me, you won’t be surprised.  I was talking with a bank president at one of our events and he told me, ‘if BS was electricity, you’d be a powerhouse.’  Growing up in Montpelier in a community that is interested and engaged in its youth put me in a position to be around and talk with people from many walks of life.  I told this guy that it is my philosophy that I didn’t need to know a lot about anything, rather a little about everything.  Going to St. Joe’s grain elevator with my dad and grandfather as a child, working for the city in high school, hanging around guys like Greg Shoup, Rick Richmond, Chuck Moore, and so many others (like yourself), allowed for me to learn a little about a lot of different things, not only in those various career fields, but in life in general.”
     And his personal life has turned out pretty well, too. “My wife (the former Jackie Lemmon) is a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant and she works in St. Louis at a nursing home where she does therapy with the residents.  Ultimately, she would like to go back to school to get her master’s degree in Occupational Therapy to become an Occupational therapist, which would allow for her to prescribe the treatment, instead of recommending a treatment.”
   And Travis and Jackie have a new young son, Knox. “Knox is nine months old and is doing great!  When people tell you that having children will ‘change your life’ I really didn’t understand what they were talking about.  However, it didn’t take long to figure it out.  He is my new favorite person.  Jackie and I have been very blessed with Knox; he eats well, sleeps well, laughs all of the time, rarely cries, and is excited to see us in the morning and when we pick him up in the afternoons.  Probably the best part is he does well in the car during the six hour drive to Montpelier.”
     With his parents (Bob and Kelley) and other family members still in Montpelier, Travis and family do make the trip back home when they can. “We do get back to Montpelier a few times a year, usually around the holidays or long weekends.  Obviously, there are some brick and mortar changes in Montpelier, with the new school, and the others now gone, but ultimately, Montpelier is the same town that I left ten years ago, and that’s a good thing, too.  The best part of going ‘home’ is that I can go to the grocery store, church or to Rowe’s for an omelet that I couldn’t possibly finish, and see people I know, and we talk like we had a conversation last week.  It really does give you the feeling of home even though I haven’t lived there for a decade.”

No comments:

Post a Comment